Heart Strings Crochet Garland
We are adding the idea to your Wedding Ideas.
The idea was added to your Wedding Ideas.
Whether you're getting married on Valentine's Day or you just really love hearts, this Heart Strings Crochet Garland is the cute DIY decoration you need at your wedding. This wedding garland is perfect for anyone who enjoys the vintage feel of crochet crafts. When you hang it up, you can just feel the love coming off of it. Whether you're making this for your own wedding, or you're just a good friend who's stepping up and helping out with the wedding decor, this is one crochet decoration that your guests won't soon forget.
Don't spend so much time on the decorations that you forget about the other major important thing on your big day: your look! Get inspired by these 82 DIY Wedding Ideas for Bridal Attire and Accessories
Time to CompleteIn an evening
Project TypeMake a Project
- RED HEART® Soft®: 1 ball each 4600 White A, 9925 Really Red B, 9251 Coral C, and 5142 Cherry Red D
- Susan Bates® Crochet Hook: 4mm [US G-6]
- Yarn needle
Each 5-heart string measures 25” (63.5 cm) long, not including hanging chain. Each heart measures 5” (12.5 cm) at widest x 4” long from center “V” to point.
A, B, C = Color A, Color B, Color C, etc.; ch = chain(s); dc = double crochet; hdc = half double crochet; sc = single crochet; st(s) = stitch(es); tr = treble (triple) crochet; ( ) = work directions in parentheses into same st; * = repeat whatever follows the * as indicated
1. Each garland is made with 5 hearts joined by chains.
2. Each heart is worked in joined rounds with right side facing at all times.
3. Change color at end of round as follows: work to end of round but do not join; insert hook in first single crochet, drop old color to wrong side, yarn over with new color and draw through all loops on hook to complete slip stitch join. Proceed with new color. Cut old color. In Hearts 2, 3, and 5, you may wish to carry color not in use along wrong side until next needed to minimize weaving in of ends.
Make 3 hearts in each color sequence. Ch 2
Heart 1: Rounds 1 and 2 with A, Rounds 3–5 with B, Rounds 6 and 7 with C
Heart 2: Rounds 1–5 with D, Round 6 with A, Round 7 with D
Heart 3: Rounds 1– 3 with A, Round 4 with C, Round 5 with A, Round 6 with C, Round 7 with A
Heart 4: Rounds 1–4 with C, Round 5 with B, Round 6 with A, Round 7 with D
Heart 5: Round 1 with C, Round 2 with A, Round 3 with D, Round 4 with C, Round 5 with B, Round 6 with A, Round 7 with C
Make 15 as shown in Color Sequences
Round 1 (right side): Work 6 sc in 2nd ch from hook; join with slip st in first sc—6 sc
Round 2: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, (hdc, dc, hdc) in next sc, sc in next sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, (hdc, dc, hdc) in last sc; join with slip st in first sc—6 sc, 4 hdc, and 2 dc
Round 3: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, (hdc, dc) in next hdc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, hdc) in next hdc, hdc in next sc, sc in next sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in next sc, hdc in next sc, (hdc, dc) in next hdc, 2 dc in next dc, (dc, hdc) in last hdc; join with slip st in first sc—6 sc, 6 hdc, and 8 dc
Round 4: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, 2 dc in next 4 sts, (dc, hdc) in next dc, hdc in next hdc, sc in next 3 sts, 3 sc in next sc, sc in next 3 sts, hdc in next hdc, (hdc, dc) in next dc, 2 dc in last 4 sts; join with slip st in first sc—10 sc, 4 hdc, and 18 dc
Round 5: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, (hdc, dc, tr) in next dc, 2 tr in next 3 dc, 2 dc in next 3 dc, hdc in next 4 sts, sc in next 4 sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc, hdc in next 4 sts, 2 dc in next 3 dc, 2 tr in next 3 dc, (tr, dc, hdc) in last st; join with slip st in first sc—12 sc, 10 hdc, 14 dc, and 14 tr
Round 6: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, sc in next 2 sts, *2 hdc in next st, hdc in next 2 sts; repeat from * twice, hdc in next 9 sts, sc in next 4 sc, 3 sc in next sc, sc in next 4 sc, hdc in next 9 sts, **hdc in next 2 sts, 2 hdc in next st; repeat from ** twice, sc in last 2 sts; join with slip st in first sc—one 3-sc group, 13 sc, and 42 hdc
Round 7: Ch 1, sc in same st as join, sc in next 3 sts, *ch 3, skip next st, slip st in next st; repeat from * around to last 3 sts, ch 3, sc in last 3 sts; join with slip st in first sc—one 7-sc group and 26 ch-3 spaces. Fasten off.
Arrange hearts in 3 groups of 5 each or as desired.
Heart to Heart Join: With right side of heart facing, join D with slip st in center st of 7-sc group of Round 7, ch 4; with wrong side of next heart facing, join with slip st in center st of 3-sc group of Round 6. Fasten off. Repeat to join 3 remaining hearts to previously joined hearts
Hanging Chain: With right side of top heart facing, join D with slip st in center st of 7-sc group of Round 7, ch 30. Fasten off, leaving a long tail.
Repeat Heart to Heart Join and Hanging Chain twice to create 3 garlands.
Weave in ends
If you're itching for some more wedding crochet projects, look no further than these 60+ Free Crochet Patterns: How to Crochet for a Wedding
Free projects, giveaways, exclusive partner offers, and more straight to your inbox!
Your Recently Viewed Projects
Images from other crafters
- DIY Polka Dot Serving Platter
- Something Old Pearl Winter Wedding Ornaments
- 23 Dollar Store Wedding Ideas for the Budget Bride
- How to Make Fake Snow
- Painted and Frosted Glass Jars
- Stunning DIY Sunburst Mirror
- Botanical Winter Wedding Ornaments
- Anthropologie-Inspired Beaded Glass
- 6 Creative Ways to Display Photos at Your Wedding
- Lace Chair Back Cover
Our Newest Projects & Articles
- Strawberry Rhubarb Cast Iron Crisp
- Strawberry Topping Recipe
- The Most Amazing Lemon Blueberry Bread
- Trader Joes Copycat Almondina Cookie Thins
- Warm Olives Appetizer
- Whipped Butter Recipe
- Savory Rosemary Mixed Nuts
- Almond Biscotti Recipe With Cranberries
- How To Freeze Peaches
- Shrimp Avocado Salad Recipe With Citrus Dressing